Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vocabulary Jan 10 – 14
pandemonium – wild uproar and total chaos; There was complete pandemonium at our house for the hour mother was gone.

Samaritan – one who is compassionate and helpful to a person in need; After I tripped on the street curb, a good Samaritan helped me to my feet.

phantom - an illusion of a person or thing; ghost; I was too scared to enter the attic, in fear that I might encounter a phantom.

gawk – to stare stupidly or foolishly; to gape; The young boys gawked at the pretty high school girl as she walked past them.

dainty – very delicate and fine; The girl wore a dainty lace dress to the recital.

eon – an immeasurably long period of time; “It will take me eons to finish this huge book report!” shouted the girl.

unbeknownst –unknown or without one’s knowledge; Unbeknownst to his mother, Gerald had to stay after school on Monday.

antsy – unable to sit or stand still; fidgety; The students were very antsy on the last day of school because they could not wait for summer break.

No comments: