Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vocab words Jan 17-21

flaunt – to show off; It was rude for the girl to flaunt around in her new dress at the homeless shelter.

pungent – having a sharp smell or bitter flavor; The pungent smell escaping from the school cafeteria made me wish I had brought my lunch.

reluctant - unwilling; not eager; The girl was reluctant to begin her one hundred problem homework assignment.

disperse – to spread widely or to scatter; The smoked dispersed into the midnight sky.

vague – not clear; My memory of that day is very vague.

geezer – a slang term referring usually to a strange, old man; That is the old geezer who sold shoe laces on the corner.

rookie – (beginner) an athlete playing his or her first season on a sports team; The young man was having an outstanding year for only being a rookie.

pallbearer – one of several persons who carry or attend the casket at a funeral. My dad was a pallbearer at his best friend’s funeral.

No comments: